Friday 5 October 2012

Background potions and ingredients


I wanted the Potions lesson to really feel like a potions lesson and not just messing about with vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. I think the other potions and ingredients I made helped with this. I gave the Brownies an opportunity to look at all the different bottles and jars I'd filled by asking them to go and find the ingredients we needed for each potion. I found lists of potions and  ingredients in harry potter and made up a few of my own:

Boomslang skin is ladies' tights cut into squares
Sopophorous beans are just black  beans
Jobberknoll Feathers are just from a selection of  craft feathers - I picked out the pretty turquoise ones
Blood worms are just tinned spaghetti
Belladonna are black leaves from a present I received (a chocolate black rose)




I made these from lotions and creams that had been hanging around our bathroom. I cleaned out the one for the dragons blood and mixed green food with water inside. For the lobalug venom I just mixed green food colouring with the lotion already inside. The acromantula venom is made in the same way. The phoenix tears are just water and glitter.



Most of the premade potions were just made by mixing water with either paint or food colouring. Some of them looked more magical when we were creating them than the finished potion.


                                 Honey                 Coloured water and craft snow     water and gold paint

No comments:

Post a Comment